Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,473
There are 3516 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

Young designer help

Thread title: Young designer help
01-26-2011, 05:48 AM
tpaKid is offline tpaKid
Software:

tpaKid is on a distinguished road

Old  Young designer help

I am working on a Portfolio at the moment, but I am having some trouble. I have come across many fantastic portfolio examples over the past few months, and I must say that it is completely discouraging. I see these great sites and I realize that anything that I make will not compare. I am frustrated because I am never satisfied with what I create.

I have read many resources that say how you should talk up your skills and sell yourself to potential clients via your portfolio. My problem is that I really do not have the ability to make GREAT websites. My designs are boring and much too simple. I don't know what to do.

I understand that you cannot force creativity. I just feel like there are so many other brilliant designers out there that can do much better work. How can I possibly compete with them? How do I better my design skills? It doesn't seem like something that can be taught.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: Some examples of my work..

http://shootyball.com/tpa/

01-26-2011, 06:25 PM
DDS is offline DDS
Expertise: HTML/CSS
Software: Dreamweaver

DDS is on a distinguished road

Old

Hey,
Most of those designers you see went to school of some sort/ have official training/ been in the industry for years! It's understandable that you don't like the work you are creating, I went through the same phase too. The bottom line is, I was trying to jump into an industry that I had no experience in! I could slap together some html a create a simple website, but I had no official training.

When you look at other people's work, don't get depressed (like I used to) try to see what the have done and take away some knowledge, why did they do it that way, why does it look better than my design, see how everything flows together. There is many things we all can learn by observing other people's work, from a design stand point.

You said your web pages are too simple, thats not necessarily a bad thing! Why don't you try to make very simple website and market them. Not everybody likes a flash based/ graphic intensive/ huge and crazy websites. Sure, these website can be appreciated, but maybe a small business doesn't want a crazy graphical website!

You also asked how can you compete with the pros. The honest answer is you can't... not yet at least. If you (or me for that matter) were to go head to head against one of the pros, we would lose big time! I say all that to say this... you need to market your simplistic design! Some of the big companies charge $3,000 for a web page, you and me on the other hand can charge a lot less! You need to market your small and agile business so the big guys can't compete!

My advice would be to make your website's, so you are satisfied with them, and don't compare your work to the pros, because just like my work, it aint going to compare very well! And over a period of time you will see your work start to look better and you'll be able to create your sites faster. It takes time, you're not going to become a pro over night!

You could go to school, if you have the money or time! Or you could learn like I did, get books from the library, learn on the fly, experiment with designs in your free time, research when you have time, and always be willing to learn and take constructive criticism! (Get some books on color theory and some website design idea books)

Hang in there bro, you'll get better with time!