Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,473
There are 3815 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

I know it's "recession" but...

Thread title: I know it's "recession" but...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
06-19-2009, 04:45 AM
spencerp is offline spencerp
Expertise:
Software:

spencerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old  I know it's "recession" but...

Come on, it irks the f_u_c_k out of me, that people use that line all over the web, when it comes to buying designs or templates...

Usually people b_i_t_c_h, because a design isn't coded. Then when a design IS coded, they want more pages coded and more bells and whistles done for a super cheap price. What the h_e_l_l!?!? I know times are tough and all that junk, but come on! I don't go up to you and say... "I'll buy your car for 50 cents, and the house for $10.00! Hey, it's recession!" ...

Like the t_w_a_t, in mjwalsh's thread here:
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1384907

The same goes for general workers. The company doesn't say... "Well Steve, you worked for us for 80 hours this week, but we'll pay you for 10 hours. Hey, it's recession!". People don't care if you WORK online, they just want the cake and eat it too, plus the bakery shop that the cake was made in for the low price of nothing.

Online work, design or coding, IS work period. There shouldn't be a way out of pricing period. It's b_u_l_l s_h_i_t, no matter which way you slop it and shovel it around. People pay for a car full price usually at a car dealership. They can haggle it down a little bit, but not to the price of a pack of gum though.

The only guys here that I know of, that doesn't drop their prices for anything, is "toughshot" and "enigma". I think people need to keep firm on their prices, regardless of the "recession" or whatever you want to call it. Although, you might not get sales fast enough, because people aren't spending like they were. I don't know. Either way, it's just a little rant I had to get off the chest...

Edit: Also, what happened to folks buying UNIQUE designs...? Now, they just want the same repeated crap designs cheap. They don't care if it looks like 50 others out there, they'll snatch it up. wtf? LOL!

/RANT

06-19-2009, 05:20 AM
Patrick is offline Patrick
Expertise: Java/C#/C++ Programmer
Software:

Patrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

You forgot the /rant

06-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

Oh yeah, thanks.. lol. Must be the rum... Mm, it's good though.

06-19-2009, 08:25 AM
quentin123 is offline quentin123
Software:

quentin123 is on a distinguished road

Old

moreover how many people are REALLY and DIRECTLY touched by the recession ? not that many in my opinion , they just use it as a way of negociation that is all

07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
triadink is offline triadink
Software:

triadink is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to triadink Send a message via Yahoo to triadink

Old

where i live there in NC it was all about furniture factories, i was a IT manager in one...they have all shut down due to foreign trade....most have moved to china or mexico now. I am currently unemployed as well as over 6000 other furniture employees in my community.

We were lucky to get Dell computers to setup shop in our area but within the last couple of months they have laid off over half of their workforce.

So yes things are bad and im sure its not just in my area (NC)

as for prices on some designs ive seen lately its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if its a great design i will pay good...if its trash i wont bid...then you see people get mad when they dont get offers....Im so sick of a thread title saying "amazing design" "awesome design" "professional design" and go in the thread and look like a 10yr old made it in 15 mins. If its worth it and someone needs it, it will bring its price!

Originally Posted by quentin123 View Post
moreover how many people are REALLY and DIRECTLY touched by the recession ? not that many in my opinion , they just use it as a way of negociation that is all

06-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yeah I know, it would be like Donald Trump or Bill Gates going around shopping, "I'll give you $5.00 dollars for that 1 in a million antique... hey, it's the recession!"... LOL! Nah, but I know what you're saying though. I think most just use it as a Bull_s_h_i_t line to get top dollar stuff for the price of rocks. Even though they're NOT affected by the "recession".

And it never fails to amaze me, each and every President of the U.S. of Fluckin A said how they would help the economy... It's funny, I haven't seen help for it in years. All I see is the USA going down the toilet farther and farther each day... To make matters worse, it won't be long before there's a "New World Order" where it's a One World Gov't. - okay, that's off-topic, probably leading to another whole debate in itself lol.

06-19-2009, 10:18 AM
jm is offline jm
Expertise:
Software:

jm is on a distinguished road

Old

I honestly haven't met anyone who talks/writes as much as you do.

06-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by jm View Post
I honestly haven't met anyone who talks/writes as much as you do.
Maybe so, but how else could the points get across in a two liner sentence..LOL! Most write novels on here, it's fine.

06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

(Disclaimer: parts of this post may just be playing devil's advocate)

First, if you're going to swear then spell it properly and let the ****ing censor take care of it. The meaning would get across just the same.

Secondly, I think that the slump being seen is in part due to the designers (uh oh, making no friends here!) who would rather design for the super-low-end market with inferior products just for a quick buck (literally). You're supposed to be artists guys, yet there have been very few outstanding items put up for sale.

Personally, I'd take a good $500 template (or $1000 bespoke work) any day over the subpar works being offered for a tenth (or much less!) of the price. So, you only get paid once a month compared to a teeny tiny bit much more regularly. That's what being an artist is all about.

All that said, there are a lot of people seriously affected by the recession (or choosing to make it appear that way) who regardless of what is being offered can or will only look for those $10 templates and someone has got to cater for that market too.

07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
nontemplates is offline nontemplates
Software:

nontemplates is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
You're supposed to be artists guys, yet there have been very few outstanding items put up for sale.

Personally, I'd take a good $500 template (or $1000 bespoke work) any day over the subpar works being offered for a tenth (or much less!) of the price. So, you only get paid once a month compared to a teeny tiny bit much more regularly. That's what being an artist is all about.
I never really See Dp or TFl as the place where you sell your best work at. Even in its heyday (when all I did was lurk) I don't recall seeing alot of $1000 designs selling. Few hundred as opposed to now yeah.

Its the whole what came first the chicken or the egg thing. I see people TRY to sell quality and there are no takers and after awhile the designer realizes its not the marketplace for high end designs. I also see people complain about quality and stop coming so you have a point. However if I am being honest the same people that complain about quality are the same ones that pass on it when the price tag matches.

I think both are right. First rule I learned in business that really stuck with me - Never base your price or business plan on fighting with the marketplace. You always lose. I think anyone approaching these marketplaces (DP, TFL, even 99designs and crowdspring) with the idea that they will get paid once a month will be an artist - yeah - but the starving ones that are part of the cliche. These are not the places to go to get paid $1000 for a design on a regular basis.

NOw if TFL wants to advertise and bring those kinds of customers to the marketplace then I.m sure you will see the quality rise but right now its a little too dead to put it all on the designers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >